Emerald Specter 9: The Review of Spectre


The 24th installment of the James Bond franchise has come out and the results are both encouraging and discouraging at the same time. Do read on.

Going into this movie, I was hopeful for something meaningful in the way of a James Bond story. My Bond is Daniel Craig because he’s played the character better than I’ve seen anyone else do it… yes, I’m saying that Sean Connery isn’t the best (in my book, he’s not even the second best). But, I digress. Craig brings the same level of effort to the character that he has in all his other installments (Casino Royale, Quantum of Solace, Skyfall) and this one is no exception.

Here’s my problem with the movie: it’s a “Star Trek Into Darkness” reboot of a character that should not have been reboot.

The thing about Khan (from Star Trek) and Blofeld (from James Bond) is that the characters were done correctly exceptionally well the first time and the attempt at improving them has a 1% chance of success. That means that 99% of the time you’re going to screw it up. In both of those cases, that has been made true. Bond should have learned from Star Trek and left well enough alone.

The idea of Spectre was one I was glad to see come back into the franchise. Make the characters behind the organization new and interesting but still have that looming threat. The Fleming books, which I’ve read, all have an organization running through them (SMERSH) that was adapted to the big screen version of James Bond when Connery was in the role. That part was fine. The part where they rebooted Blofeld wasn’t.

In the end, I have to give the movie an “average” as far as James Bond movies go. Casino Royale was epic, Skyfall was epic, and now Spectre would fall just above Quantum of Solace as Craig’s third best film in the role. Whether or not he comes back for another installment is still up in the air but now that Bond has been reestablished with the Craig storyline leading into Spectre, I think I’d like to see someone else tackle the role.

You can see this movie but don’t go in with super high expectations.

%d bloggers like this: